Swimming WA is proud to be Duke 4Sport partner with the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, a global youth development program empowering young Australians aged 14-24 to explore their full potential.
Participants must learn or develop a skill, volunteer, improve their physical wellbeing and experience a team adventure in a new environment. Every Award is different, with qualified Award Leaders helping to guide Participants through all stages of their Bronze, Silver or Gold Award.
Swimming WA Duke of Ed example activities
We offer a range of diverse and enjoyable opportunities for Duke of Ed Participants across WA to complete their Physical Recreation, Skills and Voluntary Service Sections at all levels of the award.
Many of our experienced and skilled swimming members/coaches etc can be the Assessor for your Duke of Ed Award, and hold a valid Working With Children Check. Here are some examples of swimming-related activities that can be completed for each of the Sections.
|Skills||Voluntary Service||Physical Recreation|
Running social media or other digital media
Learn to swim instruction
Club Night set up
Sitting on a committee or panel
Special event training (ocean swim, triathlon, etc.)
What are the benefits of the Award?
Through this challenging journey of self-discovery, Award Participants:
- Are equipped and empowered to achieve their personal best
- Learn to take responsibility for their goals and choices
- Become connected to and actively engaged within their immediate community.
- Make a real difference to society through their positive contributions and involvement
- Learn to persevere and overcome barriers to success
- Learn important life skills such as communication, resilience, leadership and teamwork, which increases their career opportunities
- Participate in an international Award in which the value is recognised by employers and tertiary institutions.
Register for the Award
For information on how to commence your Award, please visit https://dukeofed.com.au/doing-the-award/
You can then talk to your Club about opportunities available to complete the Physical Recreation, Skills and/or Voluntary Service sections of your award.
Info for Clubs
This is a great opportunity for Swimming WA Clubs to attract young swimmers and volunteers by providing opportunities for Participants to complete their Physical Recreation, Skills and Voluntary Service sections of the Award.
Clubs can sign off on the Participant’s records to verify they have achieved the requirements of The Duke of Ed. Information on how to do this will be provided by the Participant.
Benefits to Clubs
- Attract new young players and volunteers.
- Retain existing young players and volunteers.
- Provide additional value to your young members by developing their teamwork, goal setting, perseverance and leadership skills.
For more information about the Award, please visit https://dukeofed.com.au/about-the-award/the-award/
For more support please contact firstname.lastname@example.org